Monday, September 20, 2010

Yummmm....

I have always said that having a peanut allergy keeps me slim because I was never able to just stop somewhere and grab a muffin, cupcake, ice-cream etc. In the past few years this has changed and I find myself falling victim to my sweet tooth all over town!

Cho’cola Bake Shop on Monkland is perfect for a morning muffin, or afternoon cupcake. One of the reason’s I love Cho’cola is because the shop itself is so pretty. The pink/white décor, marble counters, and beautiful cupcakes with that delicious buttercream make the whole experience worthwhile even with the high price-tag of each cupcake.

Since my work requires me to be in my car a lot, I have found myself making stops at Snowdon bakery for their delicious chocolate danish. This has been my lunch at least twice in the past few weeks and every calorie was worth it!

I work in Westmount, so on my way to the office, I often stop by Cavallaro for their bread. Their multi-grain baguette is a true find, but get there early because they sell out fast.

Last week while taking the boy on a drive, we stopped at Swurl, the new Frozen Yogurt place downtown on Cresent. I had high expectations and psyched myself up for this experience, but was ultimately underwhelmed. It was a rainy evening, so not the best for Frozen yogurt. That alone dampened the experience, but I found the Vanilla to be grainy and icier than fro-yo should be. I was however very impressed by the topping selection, especially considering everything is peanut free. To name a few, pop tarts, junior mints and graham crackers are toppings I never thought to put on ice cream or yogurt but have so much potential. Maybe next-time, I decided to play it simple for my first try. The OCD in me kicked in and I asked the cashier to get some ‘untouched’ Oreo from the back. It is a great concept to pour your own yogurt, scoop your own topping, weigh it, and pay for it. Maybe the vanilla was having a bad day, so I do promise to give it another try.

Yesterday, I found a new reason to go to TMR, as I discovered Mimi-Melon. It is in the industrial part of TMR, but a hop, skip and jump from Wal-Mart which is definitely a stop I make regularly. Overall, the cupcakes were moist and tasty. I was pleasantly surprised to bite into what I thought was a chocolate one only to discover it was marble, making it the perfect combination of chocolate/vanilla deliciousness!

I don’t own a scale, which is probably a good thing, but I did rejoin the gym to burn off these delicious calories. Montreal is certainly allergy aware, and it is nice to see these places popping up around town which allow me and all the allergic people around here to indulge every so often.

:)

J.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had a nut-free bakery in my town! But I suppose it's better for my waistline. :)

    ReplyDelete