Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Arachis Hypogaea

This past weekend I was in Toronto for my friends wedding. Since I was a bridesmaid, I was having my makeup done for the occasion. I don’t wear a lot of makeup to begin with, and when I do I like the ‘natural’ look. Over the years I have accumulated a collection of lipsticks that I buy every time I have my makeup done professionally. This is because I would never share a lipstick with anyone, not even when it has only been used with a lip brush. My fear is beyond the germs that can accumulate on those sample lipsticks used by everyone and anyone. I also fear that peanut residue from someone else’s lips may be trapped on the lipstick. When I explained my allergy to the makeup artist, she was completely understanding. I used my own lipstick, and only products that I am familiar with. I did however forget to bring a moisturizer so I was going to use a sample. I was reading the ingredients on one of them, and I noticed an ingredient ‘Arachis Hypogaea’. In French, peanuts are known as ‘arachides’, so the word arachis luckily made me realize that I shouldn’t use that product. When I googled arachis hypogaea, I learned that it was in fact from a peanut. I always knew that almond oil is a common ingredient is beauty products, but I thought it was rare for peanut derivatives to be used.

For anyone with a peanut allergy, keep this in mind, because makeup will not have the same disclaimer that food products do. Peanuts are also known by the following names: earthnuts, ground nuts, goober peas, monkey nuts, pygmy nuts and pig nuts.


:)

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment