Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Hanukkah!

Latkes- For those of you who don’t know what a Latke is, it is a Fried Potato Pancake. Latkes are a Hanukkah treat that are delicious. Usually they are accompanied by sour cream and/or apple sauce.

A few years ago I made homemade latkes for the first time, and they are so much better than store bought. Most people say that hand grating the potato’s is better, but I use the grater setting on my Cuisinart, and they always turn out to be a success. I often make 2 batches, sweet potato and regular. Of course there are risks associated with frying at home, but I use my biggest stock pot and filled the oil only about an inch deep and am very careful. I keep the fire extinguisher under my sink, so I am well prepared in the event of an accident. In perusing recipes, I have noticed that many call for peanut oil. It has been said that peanut oil is the ideal frying oil due to it’s capacity to reach a high smoke point, and it apparently makes the food crispier. Considering this is not an option, I use Canola oil, and it is just fine!

This is the recipe I’ve used over the past few years.

Latkes:

2 Cups peeled, grated potato’s (Yukon, OR Sweet)-about 6 potato's
1 Med grated onion
2 eggs
4 tbsp Flour
1 tbsp salt
½ cup canola oil
Drop about 2 tablespoons into the oil and let fry until golden brown on both sides.

Makes about a dozen latkes (to make more just double the recipe)

Happy Hanukkah!

:)

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment